Sitecore is an CMS( Content Management System) platform developed using Microsoft .NET and also is a customer experience management company that provides web content management and multichannel marketing automation software, it’s easy to install and configure Sitecore cms.
Install and Configure Sitecore Video Tutorial
Sitecore 8.1 has a specific requirement for the operating system, IIS web server, .Net framework and the database server. Follow the detail Sitecore guide for installing the Sitecore properly.
IIS Requirements to install Sitecore 8.1
- IIS 8.5
- IIS 8.0
- IIS 7.5
- IIS 7.0
.NET Framework and Database Requirements for Sitecore
To install Sitecore 8.1, you would need the minimum version of .net framework 4.5 and above. Sitecore requires minimum MS SQL server 2008 R2 SP1 or above editions like SQL server 2012, SQL server 2014 and MongoDB Database 2.6x
Sitecore software is available for the Sitecore certified developers for tryout purpose. If you are a Sitecore certified developer then the tool can be downloaded in Sitecore developer portal.This blog lets you know on how to install and Configure Sitecore 8.1 CMS tool on the windows machine.
Install and Configure Sitecore using the web installer method.
- Download the latest version of sitecore tool(Sitecore 8.1 rev. 151003.exe) from SDN and double click on the executable file to start the installation process
- Click on Next and read through the license agreement, Select I Accept and click on next to continue the installation process
- In Step 3 you will find different ways to Install and Configure Sitecore. Select the complete method to install both client and database onto your machine and click on next to continue the installation process.
- Complete – By selecting this process you will be installing the Sitecore client and the database on your machine. This is the full installation process typically used by developers.
- Database Only – By Selecting this method only the Sitecore database will be installed on the machine. Usually this method will be suitable for production environments where the database servers are separate and the clients are separate.
- Client Only – By Selecting this method only the sitecore client will be installed on the machine. This method is suitable for production environments where the clients and database are on different servers.
- In this step provide the instance name for the sitecore client installation. Provide the unique name or you could provide the application name over here for better understanding and click on next to continue the installation process.
- In this step you need to select the valid license file provided by Sitecore to continue the installation. Once you choose the valid license you will get the License details on the screen as shown below. Click next to continue installation process.
- Select the appropriate database server MSSQL or Oracle. Enter the DB server details like Server name, SQL user ID and Password and click continue to proceed.
- Select the Drive and Path where you need to install the Sitecore client and databases on your local machine. You can change the path of Sitecore client and database by selecting advanced option in the same window. Click next to continue.
- Provide the website name. This will be the website name of the application which you will be using it later. This also creates an App Pool by the same name. Click next to get the complete details of your selections from the previous screen.
- If everything is fine then click on install to begin the installing the Sitecore. This will take some time usually (2-5 mins) depending on the configuration of your computer.
- Once the installation is finished select Launch Sitecore and Click on finish button to launch the sitecore application.
If the installation program fails – If the installation program fails, archive the log file and attach it to your support request. If the installation program fails after you click Install in the Ready to Install dialog box, the log file is automatically created at: %TEMP%\SitecoreInstaller.log.
The log file is recreated during each installation. You should therefore copy it right after an unsuccessful installation. Otherwise, the file will be overwritten.
“Database ‘…’ cannot be upgraded” error message while using SQL Server
When using SQL Server the installer returns the “Database ‘…’ cannot be upgraded” error message, the user account configured to run the SQL server application must have Full access permissions to the website root folder. Typically, the SQL server application runs in the context of the NETWORK SERVICE account.